Thursday, October 13, 2011

It's Crunch Time!

As a Junior, I'm finding that graduation is just around the corner, and I have a lot to do to prepare myself for my post-college life. I have to figure out what I'm going to do, where I want to work, and what exactly I'm looking at doing after college so I'm not the stereotypical grad living in my parent's house watching TV and encountering regular visits with Aunt Georgia to listen to her whine about her doctor's appointments. So, to avoid this I have to start getting ready for a future as an employed college graduate!

Right now I'm looking at interning at the State Department, to my horror, a few days ago the USAJOBS website with the application was down for an entire week! I thought the digital age was supposed to be more helpful, but I guess I should have foreseen problems like website reconstruction that could delay my access to arguably one of the most important applications I will fill out in my college years! It's due November 1st so I have a solid week to fill it out, email to my Dad and others who have worked there in the past to make sure it's exactly what they want.
My Dad worked in government facilities as well and he has told me how much easier it is for me that I can instantly access and fill out applications, whereas when he was starting out in the 1980's, everything was paper copy and it took so much more time (not to mention, so much more anticipation) to figure out where he got hired. My friends have also been sending me links to other places they have interned and are willing to write and forward their old employers letters of recommendation for me. I find it fascinating how quickly networking is today, and hope it can work to my advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment